BROWNED BUTTER GNOCCHI WITH THYME — Gnocchi pasta in a savory browned butter and herb sauce. An easy but elegant dinner!
Gnocchi has quickly become a pasta favorite at our house. I love that it cooks up so quickly, which makes it perfect for busy weeknights. And this Browned Butter Gnocchi with Thyme was a huge hit with my family.
My boys especially love gnocchi, and they get excited whenever it’s on the menu. And I have to admit, those little pasta pillows are pretty wonderful.
This gnocchi recipe is especially quick and easy. But your family will think they’re eating in a five star restaurant.
There’s something about browned butter and fresh herbs that just seems gourmet.
You could certainly half this recipe if you’re only cooking for a few people. But if I use any less than two pounds of gnocchi, my hungry boys are disappointed.
The simplicity and short ingredient list really is one of the best things about this recipe. Sometimes the simplest ingredients make the best tasting meals.
The hardest things about this recipe are making sure you don’t overcook your gnocchi (it seriously only needs about a minute in boiling water), and making sure you don’t burn your butter.
But as long as you keep an eye on things, you’ll be just fine. And everyone will think you spent hours in the kitchen preparing dinner.
Like I said, gnocchi is a great ingredient if you need to get dinner on the table in a hurry. I like to keep a few packages in the freezer for quick week night meals.
It also makes a great addition to soup–just use it in place of the usual rice or noodles in a recipe.
And don’t skimp on the fresh herbs in this recipe. Since there are so few ingredients, you want to make sure everything is fresh.
If you don’t have thyme, sage is a great alternative.
Be sure to save this Browned Butter Gnocchi with Thyme recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Browned Butter Gnocchi with Thyme
- Fresh thyme
- Lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
For the Gnocchi:
- 2 (16 oz.) packages fresh gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons butter
For the Sauce:
- 6 tablespoons butter, sliced
- 1 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add gnocchi and cook for 1-2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add gnocchi to the skillet in batches and saute for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer gnocchi to a plate and keep warm as you work.
- In the same skillet, add the 6 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, stir in the thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter is a light golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in the gnocchi and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with grated Parmesan, if desired. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 182Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Fine Cooking