Want to unspoil your child? Then you have come to the right place!
It’s not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings. Anna Landers
A child who is allowed to be disrespectful to his parents will not have true respect for anyone. Billy Graham
When it comes to raising kids, parents hope and dream that their child will grow up to become a confident, caring, independent young adult in this world.
That is what we work so hard to achieve, right?
Something we definitely DON’T want to raise is a spoiled, ungrateful, disrespectful little brat, who expects everything but is prepared to give nothing in return.
The recipe for creating a spoiled child is pretty simple. In ten simple steps you can raise a child who is both lenient and indulgent.
If you wish to do such damage to your son and daughter here are the magic steps:
1 Give them everything they want
2 Do everything for them
3 Don’t set boundaries
4 Or set some ground rules but look the other way when they break them
5 Forget to teach them to be grateful
6 Forget to teach them right from wrong
7 Let them speak to you disrespectfully
8 Fail to set a good example – that is, tell them one thing and do a completely different thing yourself
9 Accept it when they are eager to give up
10 Make excuses for their bad behavior
Note: To unspoil a child, do the exact opposite of all ten steps.
If you however insist on spoiling your child, I suggest you indulge them with the following things instead:
6 A sense of community
8 Good manners
9 Appropriate consequences
10 And finally, a no every once in a while
Before you go…
- If you are curious about how you can make your life instantly better, I have a great cheatsheet here for you.
- I have written and created over 20 books and courses on parenting and self-development. You can check them out here at my INSPIRING LIFE SCHOOL
- If you want to improve your parenting skills dramatically check out BE A BETTER PARENT IN 30 DAYS.
- You can check out my list of favorite things here and must-read self-help books here.
- If you think your mindset could use some improvement check out YOUR INVISIBLE CROWN.
- YOUR MAGIC WAND is for dream-chasers who just need a nudge to get them moving in the right direction.
- Finally if you want to stay in touch feel free to join our INSPIRING LIFE TRIBE for your weekly dose of inspiration. The mere fact that you are here right now means you would be perfect fit!
RELATED PARENTING POSTS:
>> 10 Parenting Truths To Remember
>> Why Report Cards Aren’t The Be-All and End-All In Life
>> Life Is Hard Enough Without You Making It Even Harder For Your Kids
>> Top 5 Tips For Parents With Special Needs Kids
>> Children Don’t Stay Young Forever – Raising Great Kids
>> Stepping Outside Your Comfort Zone As A Parent
>> How To Give Your Child Wings – Raising Great Kids
>> 50 Questions To Ask Your Kids
>> 101 Fabulous Kid and Teen Business Ideas