what is kada prasad?
Kada Prasad or Aate ka halwa is a simple but divine sweet. We serve it in Gurudwaras/ Sikh temples post Ardas. Gurudwara ka kada prasad or karah prasad is a blessing in itself. It is distributed to all after ardas, signifying all humans were created equal. This prasad is a halwa.It is a a simple wheat flour pudding.
What is Sikhism?
Sikhism originated during 15-17th century in Punjab region of Indian Subcontinent. It is based on teachings of Guru Nanak the first Guru. There are ten successive Gurus in Sikhism. After the tenth Guru, ‘Guru Granth Sahib‘ the holy book, was given the ‘Guruship‘ or made the Guru by the 10th Guru, Shri Guru Gobind Singh. Panch Takht or 5 main Gurudwaras in India are at Amritsar, Anandpur Sahib, Bathinda, Patna and Nanded.
How do we make kada parshad recipe?
We mix equal parts of wheat flour, sugar as well as clarified butter(ghee) cook with thrice the amount of water. Generally, people who prepare this guru prasad, also sing hymns of Guru Granth Sahib. They will cover their heads as mark of respect.
Later we cover it with a white cloth and then place it near Guru Granth Sahib. During Ardas, pathi will stir it with Kirpan. He will then distribute the prasad before langar or community lunch begins. This is a simple sweet yet the most flavorful as purity shows in.
- Atta/ whole wheat flour
- Ghee / clarified butter
- Cardamom powder (optional)
- Kadai/frying pan
How to make Kada prashad ?
Here is the step by step recipe to make atta halwa.
- Dry roast whole wheat flour in a pan for about 2-3 mins.
2. Add ghee once the rawness of wheat flour disappears.
3. Mix well, keep stirring on a low flame.
4. Add sugar and keep stirring for few minutes, with a spatula.
4. Keep stirring until sugar dissolves. Add cardamom powder.
5. As the mixture gets cooked, it will start getting lumpy and get darker brown in color. You need to stir frequently.
6. Add water and cook until water has been absorbed. Stir until it comes together to get a halva consistency.
7. Serve warm.
You may optionally garnish with sliced almonds.
Read the recipe of Kada Prasad-Aate ka halwa
- ½ cup atta or wheat flour
- 1.5 cups water
- ½ cup ghee clarified butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon cardamom powder optional
- Sliced almonds for garnish optional
Dry roast wheat flour in a pan.
Add ghee or clarified butter in a pan and roast well until brown.
Add sugar and mix well until it dissolves.
Now, add water and mix well to ensure there are no lumps formed.
Continue stirring until ghee oozes out.
Add cardamom and keep stirring.
Garnish with almonds.Serve warm.
How to make aate ka halwa ? (Youtube video)
Learn how to make atte ka halwa. It is has minimal ingredients in it.
The original kada prashad recipe which is served in Gurudwara does not have any nuts in it. However, you may add sliced almonds and raisins for garnish when making aate ka halwa at home.
Need more Punjabi recipes?
- Paneer tikka masala
Hot crispy jalebis, Amritsar special
Crispy Aloo tikki
- Kadai paneer
- Dhaba wala matar paneer
What are some other halwa recipes?
There are so many ways of making a halwa. Simplest of sweets and yet something which always fulfils your tummy and soul.
- Sooji ka halwa
- Gur ka halwa(sooji halwa with jaggery)
- Moong dal halwa
Sooji halwa is generally made for udyapan, ending of Navratri fasting and for Satyanarayana pooja.
We can have 3 type of halwa during fasting periods.
- Gajar ka halwa/carrot halwa
- Kaddu halwa/ Pumpkin halwa
Click here to see our top foodie destinations in Amritsar.
Also, click here for watching more recipe videos.