Recipe for Sandesh
What type of Mango to be used for Mango Sandesh?
How to make Mango Sandesh?
- Full cream Milk, 1 Litre
- 1 Lemon to curdle the Milk
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Mango pulp or Mango chunks or 2 ripe Mangoes
- 1 tablespoon Milk powder (Optional)
- 20 Raisins (Optional, for garnishing), any dry fruits of your choice can be used
- Take the 1 litre milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- Put the flame in medium high and let the milk boil.
Tip: While boiling the milk, put the flame in medium and stir occasionally. Otherwise, the milk will stick to the bottom of the pan and a burning smell may get induced into the milk.
- Put the flame in lowest.
- On the other side, cut the Lemon into two pieces.
- Squeeze out the Lemon juice in a bowl.
- Make sure no pulps and seeds are there in the juice.
- Add the Lemon juice slowly into the milk (Step 3).
- Stir it slowly and let the milk curdle.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes in lowest flame.
- On the other hand, place a colander in the sink of kitchen and put a Muslin cloth on the colander.
- While the water gets separated from the curdled milk, switch off the flame.
- Pour the curdled milk immediately to the Muslin cloth. With the help of a spatula, stir the Chenna gently for a minute to cool it off.
- Gather the corners of the cloth.
- Put the Chenna into the running water. Wash the Chenna carefully. This helps to remove the flavour of Lemon off the Chenna and allows the Chenna to cool down.
- Squeeze the excess water and then tie a tight knot of the cloth.
- Hang the Chenna for 30 minutes.
- Crumble the Chenna nicely and knead it for 5-6 minutes until all the grains disappear. Make a soft and smooth dough with it.
Note: It is very important to knead the Chenna till smooth without any grain to prepare a perfect Sandesh.
- On the other hand, measure ½ cup of Sugar and transfer it to the jar of a grinder. Grind it till dust.
Note: First measure the sugar and then grind it. The quantity of ½ cup of normal sugar and ½ cup of powdered sugar is different.
- Pour the powdered sugar into the kneaded Chenna and mix it.
- Transfer the mixture into a non-stick pan and cook it in medium low flame.
- Add Milk powder into the mixture and mix it evenly.
- Pour the Mango pulp into the mixture and stir it properly.
- Put the flame in medium and cook it for 10 minutes. Stir continuously or else it will stick to the bottom. After 10 minutes the content will start becoming thicker.
- At this stage lowest the flame and cook it for another 5-10 minutes. Stir continuously. Cook it in lowest flame until the mixture converts into a thick mass.
Note: This is the crucial part of preparing Sandesh. We need to stir it continuously or else it will stick to the bottom and Sandesh and will smell Smokey. We need to be patient at this stage.
- Switch off the flame and put the pan down.
- Pour the mixture a plate and allow it to be at room temperature.
- Take small portions of the Sandesh mixture and make small balls with your hands. Flatten the ball slightly with our palm. Place a raisin on the centre of the top or else you can use any other dry fruit like Cashew, Pistachio or Walnut.
How to store Mango Sandesh