Moong dal ladoo or pasi paruppu laddu recipe is a quick and easy Indian sweet recipe. These ladoos are perfect to make for any festive occasion like diwali or for karthigai deepam.
Moong dal ladoos are protein-rich sweet balls using yellow moong dal or split dehusked green gram. It is also called as nei urundai in Tamil.
The recipe is very simple and you only need a few ingredients to make it.
This sweet laddu is as simple and easy to make as my favorite oats laddu or aval ladoo.
In this recipe we have to roast mooong dal to a nice golden color and then grind it to a powder consistency along with cardamom which gives a nice flavor. Then, the ladoos are prepared by mixing the ground moong dal with ghee or clarified butter and shaping into round balls. That’s it! moong dal ladoos are ready.
Moong dal is rich in proteins and easy to digest. Kids will love these ladoos and they are healthy too. Lets move on to the recipe for easy moong dal ladoo.
how to make moong dal ladoo step by step
- Heat 1/2 tsp ghee in a kadai or pan and add yellow moong dal.
- Fry the moong dal till it turns golden brown in color. This will take a few minutes. Fry it on a medium-low heat continuously so that the dal gets browned evenly. Let this cool down a little and add 1/4 cup fine sugar.
- Add lightly ground cardamom seeds.
- Grind this moong dal, sugar and cardamom mixture to a fine powder consistency. This will take some time to grind. So keep scraping the insides of the mixer and grinding it a few times. Transfer the ground mixture to a wide bowl or plate. Melt ghee in a small kadai or pan. Add this melted ghee to the ground moong dal mixture.
- Mix well to form small round balls with the palms of your hand.
- Yellow moong dal ladoos are now ready to be served.
Pasi Paruppu Laddu | Moong Dal Ladoo Recipe
Moong Dal Ladoo recipe
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal / split dehusked green gram / pasi paruppu
- 1/4 cup fine sugar
- 1 cardamom pod / elaichi / elakkai
- 2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp melted ghee / clarified butter
- Heat 1/2 tsp ghee in a thick-bottomed kadai or pan and add yellow moong dal.
- Fry the dal on a medium low flame. Keep stirring till the dal turns golden brown in color. This will take a few minutes.
- Once the moong dal turns golden brown in color, remove from heat and set this aside to cool down slightly.
- Lightly crush the cardamom seeds.
- Grind the roasted moong dal with sugar and crushed cardamom seeds to a fine powder consistency. You will need to scrape the sides of the mixer and grind the moong dal mixture till everything is well blended.
- Transfer the contents to a bowl or plate.
- Melt ghee in a small pan or kadai.
- Add this warm melted ghee in small quantities to the ground flour and mix well.
- Make a small round ball with the palm of your hand and set this aside. Repeat this for the whole of the mixture.
- Moong dal ladoos are now ready to be served.
- Let the ladoos cool down and its ready to be stored in an airtight container.
- Make sure you roast the moong dal well till it is golden brown in color. This will give a nice flavor to the ladoos.
- It is better to not add all of the ghee at once. Add ghee in small quantities till you are able to form a ball.
- These ladoos can be stored in an airtight container and stays well for 4-5 days at room temperature.