Pro-Grade Powermatic Wood Lathe Highlights Accessibility For All
Coming in April, the Powermatic PM2014 Wood Lathe looks like the brand’s most accessible lathe ever brought to market. It features 115V single-phase power input, easy disassembly, and an optional adjustable stand. These, as well as other premium features, point to the PM2014 as the lathe that brings a little something for everyone to the table.
- Model: PM2014
- Inverter converts 115V, single-phase power input to 230V, three-phase output
- Consistent torque, even under load
- Driven by 1 Hp, 230V, three-phase motor
- Electronic variable speed ranges include 15-900 rpm, 30-1800 rpm, 60-3600 rpm
- Spindle speeds as low as 15 rpm
- Easy transport
- Magnetic, moveable control box
- 20 in. working distance between centers
- 14 in. swing over the bed
- Features precision-ground cast iron bed, sliding headstock, anti-rotation tailstock key, Acme threads
- CSA-certified and backed by a 5-year warranty
- Price: $1999 for the tool; $2,399 for tool and stand; $249 for 13″ bed extension with turning attachment
Powermatic PM2014 Lathe Features
Motor and Power
The new Powermatic Lathe comes equipped with an inverter that converts 115V, single-phase power input to 230V, three-phase output. This LETS you use the lathe anywhere you can find a 115V outlet. This supplies the lathe with enough power to apply consistent torque to your woodturning projects, even at low speeds.
The Powermatic PM2014 Lathe features a 1 HP, 230V, three-phase motor that can handle large and off-balance pieces. It has electronic variable speed ranges that include 15-900 rpm, 30-1800 rpm, and 60-3600 rpm. It can reach spindle speeds as low as 15 rpm, making it ideal for creating ornamental turnings.
This lathe provides a 20 in. working distance between centers (though we also saw a spec sheet that said 19-1/4″) and 14 in. swing over the bed, allowing complex, multi-axis turns. if that doesn’t provide enough capacity, Powermatic has an optional 13 in. bed extension. That allows outboard turning of larger pieces.
The lathe has an optional, ergonomic stand that adjusts from 34 to 46 inches (floor to centerline). Glides also can be fine-tuned for leveling. Of course, you can use the lathe without the stand and mount it to any flat, level surface.
The sliding headstock allows for better clearance when positioned at the end of the bed for outboard turning. Powermatic also includes an anti-rotational tailstock key and Acme threads for smoother operation and longer tool life.
You get a magnetic removable control box that you can reposition as needed. It shows the digital spindle speed and indexing readouts. It also features on/off and forward/reverse switches, and a main power disconnect switch is located right on top.
Keeping it Light
At 185 lbs (and jumping to 238 lbs with the adjustable stand), the Powermatic Lathe still transports easily—for a lathe. Powermatic designed the headstock, tailstock, and banjo to fit into most mid-size vehicles.
Speaking of the stand…Powermatic has an optional one available for the PM2014. The stand adjusts up to 12 in., from 34 in. to 46 in. from the floor to the centerline. The glides can be fine-tuned for leveling.
With these capabilities, and with the options available, Powermatic believes that the PM2014 is the ideal choice for professional woodworkers, woodturning enthusiasts, furnituremakers, bowl and plate turners, students, and instructors.
Powermatic PM2014 Lathe Specifications
- Motor: 1 HP 3-phase 230V (prewired for 115V)
- Size: 20 x 14 in.
- Swing over bed: 14-1/4 in.
- Swing over tool rest base: 10-3/4 in.
- Distance between centers: 20 in.
- Headstock movement: Sliding
- Spindle taper: MT2
- Quill taper: MT2
- Spindle threads: 1-1/4 in. x 8 TPI
- Speed: 15-3600 RPM
- 24 positive locking index positions
- Outboard turning
- Cast-iron bed
- Weight: 185 lbs (tool only); 238 lbs (w/height-adjustable stand)
- Price: $2,000 for the tool; $2,400 for tool and stand; $250 for 13″ bed extension with turning attachment
The Powermatic PM2014 Wood Lathe goes on sale in April 2020. As a bare tool, it retails for $2,000. However, you will be able to purchase it with the height-adjustable stand for $2,400. The Powermatic 13″ Bed Extension with Turning Attachment will also be available for $250.
The PM2014 is CSA Certified, and it comes with a 5-year warranty. To locate any of the Powermatic service centers, or for more information about the brand or the PM2014, visit the website by clicking here.