Second Hand High Chair
Buying secondhand baby equipment is an option when money is tight. While it can have its pros financially, you cannot undermine the potential cons it may have. A buying a used high chair that is in good condition can save you hundreds of dollars; however, you need to make sure that it is safe for the baby as well.
Most parents have to go through this dilemma when looking for a high chair. That’s why we have created this post. In this article, we are going to tell you everything you need to know about 2nd hand high chair.
Let’s get started.
Should you buy a used high chair?
Most parents think that buying new baby equipment is just a huge waste of money since the child is eventually going to grow older and won’t be needing the stuff he used when he was six months old. This is one approach towards looking for secondhand baby stuff.
On the other hand, people who are under budget or don’t be needing baby furniture for long can also go for secondhand gear. In short, it is okay to buy used equipment for your baby as long as it looks good aesthetically and provides all the essential features and safety functionality.
But you must understand that there are certain cons of having used equipment. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of having secondhand baby furniture.
- Used equipment will only cost you a fraction of the new equipment. It is a great money-saving idea if you are under budget
- The best part is that you will get all the features and functionality of a new high chair under a low price
- It is great for babies who won’t be needing a high chair for long or is about to graduate from a feeding seat to the table
- The biggest disadvantage of used furniture is that you never know for how long it will last. And there is no guarantee on the product as well. If it breaks or gets damaged, consider your money gone.
- On the other hand, there is no guarantee that all the features will work. Hence, safety is one of the biggest concerns with secondhand stuff
- Last but not least, used things will not probably be that good-looking has it has previously tolerated the wear and tear of a baby using it
So need to keep in mind these pros and cons when going to buy used furniture for your children, because after getting one without putting these points in your conscience, you can do nothing but complain and brood.
How to check that secondhand high chair is safe to use?
If you have made up your mind regarding buying used baby essentials, then there are certain aspects you need to focus on before finalizing the deal.
Safety should be your topmost concern when dealing with anything ‘used’ for your little one. Hence, we have created a checklist to help you determine the quality of the used furniture that you have decided to purchase.
- First things first, determine how sturdy the chair is. Thoroughly examine the chair beforehand. See if it is stable on solid ground or are there any balance issues. See, children tend to wiggle a lot, and it is not easy to keep them stable. You would not want your baby to fall the furniture and hurt himself.
- Next, check if there is any element or entity that could compromise the safety of the furniture such as missing bolts and screws. If yes, either get the furniture restored or look for other options. A missing screw could mean that the attachments of the gear are compromised, which is only a threat to your baby.
- Does it have a safety harness? If yes, is it a 3-point harness or a 5-point harness? Safety straps are an essential part of baby seat. It keeps the child intact and make him sit in an upright position. As said earlier, babies tend to wiggle and move a lot. And if there is no safety harness holding, they can easily fall to the ground.
- Look for any broken parts and sharp edges that could cause harm to your baby. Sharp edges and cracks can cause bruises and cuts to your baby’s arms and limbs or can cause irritation when they are seated. See if these edges can be restored
- Check the seat and cushion for exposed foam and cracks. If the seat has been unused and untouched for years, it can attract dust mites and other types of bugs that are attracted to such objects. Double-check the seat and cushion.
There is a lot of consideration that goes into the play when buying a 2nd hand high chair. Only buy it if it doesn’t need any repairs or can be refurbished to work better than a new one without spending a lot.
Pin It for later